Hi Katie,

You can review and search archives for a lot of valuable information from this listserv at: http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html

I think there was once a stream on this very topic not too long ago.  I can tell you that when we restructured here, we had quite the struggle with certain departments that once controlled different areas of tutoring and they felt very strongly that testing the tutors was the only option.  I am strongly opposed to this practice and it took a great deal of communication and persuasion to make them understand that I would not be doing so moving forward.

I do not believe that testing tutors for content knowledge is a reasonable or productive practice.  Tutors are not expected to be content experts and there should be some level of trust that a student that has earned an A or B in a class has sufficiently mastered the material to be a tutor IF they have the interpersonal skills and characteristics that combined with content knowledge, will result in a successful tutor.

Testing creates a different host of problems from who will create, administer, and review the test to the basics that some people simply do not test well.  They may have excellent content knowledge but simply do not show that in a testing scenario.  Alternatively, some that do test extremely well, may not have the ability to successfully relate the information, study habits, and effective tutoring skills to be successful.  At that point, what point did the test actually serve?

I know that there are several colleges that do have tests incorporated and can justify the practice successfully.  You have to determine what works for your institution and create the best practice that you want to put into place.

The requirements that you have in place currently align with best practices.  We also, ask for instructor recommendations of potential tutors.

Good Luck!

Janice L. Taylor

Interim Associate Director, Clark College Tutoring Services
Office: FHL 202

Mail Stop: FHL 222
Phone: 360.992.2773
Email: