From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Golson, Martin
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [External] Tutors funded by Federal Work Study Funds

Hello Jen,

I have both work study and general campus hire tutors. I am able to verify that the students who are paid through work study meet the same standard as my general campus hires. There are some problems we have.

*         We are not allowed to require the work study students to work prior to the first day of the semester. This prevents them from attending our training sessions. We end up having to catch them using make-up sessions.

*         You have a limited pool of students who qualify for work study. Some of your best potential tutors may not qualify.  As long as you retain general campus hiring funds, this is not a problem.

*         Students may not retain work study eligibility from one year to the next. This will require you to closely watch eligibility and shift students from work study to your budget if you want to retain them.

I hope this helps.

Martin Golson
Director, Academic Support
Certified Learning Center Professional - Level 4
Austin Peay State University

(931) 221-6553