Hi Jen,

Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) at Northern Illinois University employs both work study eligible and non-eligible students. I echo Martin’s comments and would like to add a potential complication.

Work study eligibility can end in the midst of a semester. The work study allotment is exhausted according to individual employee circumstance. Our administrative assistant keeps careful watch on payroll processes and administratively “moves” our work study employees to another funding source as their eligibility ends. If we did not have other funding sources, those tutors would have to be terminated mid-semester and new tutors found to take their place. That would be a nightmare!

Thanks Martin for mentioning pre-semester training. H.R. hasn’t called-us-out on that yet, but now I know to keep it in the back of mind.

Happy Friday eve to all,

Lynn

Lynn Schmitz

Program Director

ACCESS Peer Assisted Learning

Division of Academic Affairs

Williston Hall 100 E | DeKalb, Illinois 60115-2828

cid:B8B367D6-808F-470A-9A87-1286F00ABAD4

The secret in education is to respect the learner.

Ralph Waldo Emerson