Hi Diana,

We call our To Do List a Daily Preparation Schedule. I find it to be more effective than a traditional to do list because students set an implementation intention by determining the day they are going to work on the task, they determine the priority of the task, and they are breaking large assignments into smaller, more manageable chunks.

So, instead of having "Write 10 page paper," on the To Do List, they might break it down:

Monday - Read the assignment

Tuesday - Write out 2-3 research questions

Wednesday - Locate, read, and annotate 3 related articles

Thursday - Locate, read and annotate 3 related articles

Friday - Write an outline and thesis statement

Saturday - Write a rough draft

Sunday - Visit Writing Center

I have attached the Daily Prep Schedule to this email. We have students set 2-3 academic goals for the week, and then 2-3 tasks to complete each day for the next 7 days. Please feel free to adapt the form to your own needs.

After students get used to the format, we have them start writing this in their planners or we have them add a "Task List" event to their Google calendars with the 2-3 tasks to complete each day. After a few times, they start doing this on their own and just show it to me to make sure they are on track. It really helps them to start planning long term, instead of just thinking about what is due tomorrow.

With Warm Regards,

Vicki Dominick, MSEd
Associate Director for Learning Services

Learning Services
Counseling & Psychological Services
George Mason University
Student Union Building I, Room 3129
4400 University Drive, MS 2A2
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703)993-2380

Email is not a secure form of communication.  Information and confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.  Email is not a suitable forum for communication of emergencies or crisis situations.  If you are experiencing a crisis you may call CAPS at 703-993-2380 or if it is after normal business hours call 911 or GMU police at 703-993-2810.