From: Altamirano,Gerry <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, October 7, 2019 1:44 PM
To: Leonard, Michelle M <[log in to unmask]>; Brendemuhl,Joel H <[log in to unmask]>; McCormack, Wayne T <[log in to unmask]>; Kolb,H. Robert <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]; Enloe,Heather <[log in to unmask]>; Gunn, Ariel Antares <[log in to unmask]>; Adams, Damian C. <[log in to unmask]>; Duncan, R. Paul <[log in to unmask]>; Marchman, Brian K <[log in to unmask]>; Mock,Sara C <[log in to unmask]>; Myers,Dana Lynn <[log in to unmask]>; Oli,Monika <[log in to unmask]>; Rush,Mark <[log in to unmask]>; Schueller,John Kenneth <[log in to unmask]>; Amanda J. Phalin <[log in to unmask]>; White,Heather Bengtson <[log in to unmask]>; Malyk,Pamela <[log in to unmask]>; Starobin,Jean E <[log in to unmask]>; Newsom,Chris A <[log in to unmask]>; Schneider Swanson, Anna Christine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Responsible Conduct of Research on Campus

Greetings all,

I wanted to follow up with two questions/points that I hoped to further discuss with the group regarding cheating:

  1. What drives students to cheat and what are the implications for teaching?
  1. I believe a bit was discussed on increasing education efforts for the Orange Book. However, I wonder if there is also interest to investigate what drives student’s behavior? Students who cheat on exams likely do so because they do not feel prepared. This leads me down a rabbit hole of rhetorical questions… 1.) Are the stakes too high? One class may determine the entire grade by only 2 exams, is this the best approach? Are we motivating students to cheat due to fear of failing? 2.) In courses that report high incidents of cheating, is the content covered directly related to core competencies or is there superfluous information that limits content mastery? 3.) What types of exams do students cheat on? 50 question multiple choice exams? Are our assessment tools in alignment with best practices for content mastery for the new ages?
  1. Do we have sufficient testing resources as a top 7 institution? How can we expand our services to increase student success and limit the pressure students feel to cheat?
  1. Navigating large enrollment classes are certainly a feat for faculty and limit their ability to facilitate testing for students. If a student with a disability misses an exam, let’s say due to their cancer treatment, then a reasonable accommodation would be for the student to take their exam shortly upon return. If the student takes the make-up exam at the end of the semester it would not be equitable because substantial time has passed in which the student was not able to be accurately assessed for content mastery at a crucial checkpoint in the semester. Why can’t this logic be extended so that all UF students aren’t negatively impacted by testing policies. So for example if a student misses Exam 1 and is tasked to take the make-up exam at the end of the term, goes on to fail the exam, then the student would have missed the opportunity to course correct and/or drop the class. In an ideal scenario all students would be allowed a make-up exam within a reasonable time frame. This would definitely be difficult to accomplish given our university’s limitations with test proctoring.

In any case, I look forward to continuing conversations on academic integrity as well as efforts to increase student success.
Best regards,
Gerry
Gerardo Altamirano MRC, CRC | Assistant Dean & Director | Disability Resource Center
University of Florida | Division of Student Affairs
001 Reid Hall | PO Box 114085
1316 Museum Rd
Gainesville, FL 32611-4085
352.392.8565(office)
352.392.8570(fax)
[log in to unmask] | www.disability.ufl.edu
pronouns: He, Him, His

“Pioneering Access, Celebrating Disability”