*** apologies for cross-posting ***

Dear All,

The Centre for Networks and Enterprise (CNE), Edinburgh Business School (EBS), Heriot-Watt University is hosting a workshop and a guest talk by Dr Lorien Jasny (from University of Exeter) on Wednesday 13th and Thursday 14th February 2019; please see below for details.

All welcome; registration is free but please book your ticket on our Eventbrite page using the links below.

Kind Regards

Yasi

The Centre for Networks and Enterprise (CNE) are hosting a workshop and guest talk by Dr Lorien Jasny from the University of Exeter on the 13th and 14th February. Please see below for more information. As always, everyone is welcome to attend and events are free, so please pass this on to anyone who you think may be interested. Please book your ticket through our Eventbrite page.

WORKSHOP: Inferential Methods for Social Network Analysis

13th February 14:00-17:00

Instructor: Dr Lorien Jasny (University of Exeter)

Social network analysis focuses on relationships between or among social entities. This course presents an introduction to advanced concepts, methods, and applications of social network analysis used in the social and behavioural sciences. The primary focus of these methods is the statistical analysis of relational data measured on populations of social actors. The course assumes that the participants are familiar with social network data and most basic methods, although there will be some review. The course will cover measuring general descriptive measures for social networks (centrality, clustering, structural equivalence, dyad and triad censuses) using the SNA package for R, as well as methods of comparing networks and basic statistical measures of permutation tests, QAP procedure, conditional uniform graph tests, and network autocorrelation models.

Computer Programs

The R statistical programming package is required to follow along with the course material. It is freely available at the website below. I suggest also downloading R Studio. This is not necessary, but helps to organize the R windows and is an easier interface. It is also free. In addition to the base packages you install with R, we will also use additional packages. If possible, please download them prior to the start of the class. You are required to bring your own laptop to the workshop.

R (statistical programming language)

http://cran.r-project.org/

R Studio (a user interface that’s pretty nice and I will use in the workshop)

http://www.rstudio.com

And the statnet, network, ndtv, sna, MASS and numderiv packages for R available from Cran.

If you do not yet have familiarity with R, you can try this online course as preparation http://tryr.codeschool.com/.

The Workshop will take place at Heriot-Watt University EM183 (Earl Mountbatten Building), 13th February 14:00-17:00. Please meet at Edinburgh Business School (EBS) from 13:15-13:45 for arrival teas & coffees and registration. We will then walk across to the workshop room. Book your free place at our Eventbrite page.

GUEST TALK: Brokerage vs Closure: when is it a trade-off in organizational networks?

14th February, 12:00-13:30

Guest speaker: Dr Lorien Jasny (University of Exeter)

Brokerage as a concept has received a lot of interest in the social networks community. A new series of papers have argued to expand the definition past the strict structural usage of Gould and Fernandez (1989). Specifically, they argue this strict structural definition engenders a trade-off between brokerage and closure that might not be necessary for the theoretical concept nor evidenced in practice. In other words, actors might broker at the same time as other activities. In this paper, we examine this strict structural definition and show that, for a given set of actors but two very different types of ties, collaboration and information exchange, the trade-off between brokerage and closure is clearly evident in collaboration but completely lacking in information exchange. Thus, in a sense, both sets of scholars are correct; in some cases there is a clear trade-off and others not. Understanding these differences will push our understanding of the nature of brokerage forward.

The talk will take place in the South Pod of Edinburgh Business School (EBS), Heriot-Watt University on 14th February, 12:00-13:30. Book your free ticket at our Eventbrite page.

These are part of a series of events being held by the CNE, so please visit our Eventbrite page for more information. If you have any questions, please contact me on [log in to unmask].

Dr Yasaman Sarabi
Post-Doctoral Researcher

Edinburgh Business School, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS
tel: +44 (0) 131 451 8018 www.ebsglobal.net

Edinburgh Business School is a Charity Registered in Scotland, SC026900