In speaking with the department chair, this class is not meeting according
to our normal class schedule to accommodate the adjunct professors
schedule.  I like looking at competency and I do understand both sides of
this discussion.  I have made our title IX coordinator aware to look into
this as well.  As always the discussions on this forum are amazing. The
support you all have provided me over the years has been unmeasurable in
the benifits to the students I serve.  Thank you so much.  Not that this
discussion needs to end!  I just wanted to jump in with what I have
learned, steps taken, and say thanks.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 6:50 PM Ken White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Somehow, along the way, many of us, myself included at times, have become
>> hesitant to have open discussions with students about whether or not their
>> choice to pursue higher education is the right fit for them at that moment.
>>
>> Bringing it back around to the original poster's scenario, the
>> conversation I would love to have with this young lady is similar to what a
>> few other people have mentioned about what's happening in her life, what
>> obligations she's juggling, what support system she has in place (and maybe
>> helping her improve it), and what she's trying to achieve over time. I
>> don't know if this is a scenario of a single class conflict or if it's
>> indicative of a larger issue stemming from her overall situation.
>>
>> If it's a single class conflict, then it can be resolved in some of the
>> ways we have discussed. If it's a larger issue with insufficient support
>> and the young lady being pulled in too many directions, then maybe the real
>> conversation needs to be about finding her that better support network and
>> potentially taking a leave of absence from school until it's in place and
>> she can give a reasonable amount of time to her studies without feeling
>> like she's not able to care well for her child.
>>
>> "Not now" doesn't need to mean "never," and she may be the better for
>> waiting a semester or even a year or two to stabilize her home life before
>> pursuing academic success.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Debbie Malewicki, M.A.
>> President
>> Integrity 1st Learning Support Solutions, LLC
>> www.Integrity1stLSS.com
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.Integrity1stLSS.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=vy_eow2UBRuU8dcxwGq08sZiBt9FrDKspbW3Mp17RfQ&s=zjeYK2Fg69OfKLV_1Vs5vXQEPperR011zGZwFxFtiA4&e=>
>> Email: [log in to unmask]
>> Cell:  (475) 238-5635
>> Office: (203) 800-4100
>>
>> On Feb 6, 2019 4:18 PM, Roz Bethke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> This thread has been interesting. As a faculty member in Student Support
>> Services. I believe Debbie Malewicki's advice is the best "What I might
>> do, in terms of an accommodation here, is promptly help her move to another
>> section where she does not have a conflict or, if it does not exist for
>> this semester, work with your registrar and bursar's offices to grant her a
>> full refund for the class until she can take it without a conflict."
>>

>> The issue isn't whether the professor can/could/should "accommodate," but
>> about how the student can solve her problem to meet the course's reasonable
>> expectation/requirement that she attend the whole class every day to
>> receive credit or an appropriate grade. No matter how much the professor
>> can sympathize with this student's issue, the student must devote this time
>> to doing something deemed important. The syllabus is a work contract.

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_forms_d_e_1FAIpQLSfVtGL-5F41y7mARTSCGSoe3pJD57svUzGUztEUpZYlPW5fG1dw_viewform-3Fusp-3Dsf-5Flink&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=TXh6GT8vbaDYiSs5t9qWJpB6jO50qVu600ePvSKxzj8&s=jKVYCin1GzbPOqL9XIfMePx0f2TZgYuE5RScAwlKO5o&e=>!*

*Have a concern for a student?  Tell me about it here
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__simpsonu-2Dadvocate.symplicity.com_care-5Freport_index.php_pid303719-3F&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=TXh6GT8vbaDYiSs5t9qWJpB6jO50qVu600ePvSKxzj8&s=u2DncvMFIiYmDGU1XGvDGt7zWfUzGbOGS9-znYfX8aM&e=>!*

*Want to set up a time to meet?  Get on my calendar *here
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lburkwhat.youcanbook.me_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=TXh6GT8vbaDYiSs5t9qWJpB6jO50qVu600ePvSKxzj8&s=O2FTsFwhtGz_c5yG7JJLtQ3HJu5dtseuGzE05qwYpQ0&e=>!

*[image:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ci6.googleusercontent.com_proxy_kBlrDx1Veop7btb7nGaDci0Y-5FkT7eToJovCbEDCbustQCpFrqVDOI9GWK9Tgs55B5yBIWeSIKnUuDrt3409RfqNtnIY-3Ds0-2Dd-2De1-2Dft-23http-3A__simpsonu.edu_assets_img_ID_email_su.gif-5D-2A&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=TXh6GT8vbaDYiSs5t9qWJpB6jO50qVu600ePvSKxzj8&s=HN-_6VxSeliqHnylQ2MsAxS-m5umvNUAlzQMHiTDrAs&e=