I agree with you Laurie Hazard.  Many students are in the at-risk population and require other means of accommodation.  The student may want to connect with a campus department who deals with such populations.  Everyone should have the opportunity for an education.

JH

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laurie Hazard
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Not normally handled in my office

Louis,

I agree with you in terms of the idea that the adjunct could decide to exercise some level of flexibility and human kindness. I also think it’s worth talking to the adjunct (I am not sure who at your institution would do this) about the bigger picture of student success, retention, and college completion rates. In effect, that instructor has created an “institutional barrier” to success for this student. The student--he or she falls into the category of an at-risk student population (I am thinking—first generation, low income, minority, transfers, new parents, etc.). Sometimes life happens and it’s out of the person’s control.  I think about the work place—a benevolent supervisor might gladly provide an employee with a later start  time.  Could this instructor allow the student to use office hours to see that was missed as an accommodation.  We are all in this together to help some of our students who face these difficult barriers—we need to be benevolent to help them get through—a point docking system is punitive—not a best practice in pedagogy.  My two cents………

LH

www.offtoseries.com