As a solo parent with a disability, and parent of a child with a
disability, I know it makes all the difference if someone reaches out to me
and compassionately listens, especially when things are going awry.  Along
those lines, has anyone talked with the student?  Is the issue unstable
childcare, costs for better and more reliable childcare?  Transportation
(bus schedules to childcare then to school?  A child that has special
needs?  Are there issues at their home that are causing complications?
Does the parent have any assistance to help alleviate issues?  As
educators, helping our students prepare for life outside of college, even
those with more challenges than most, it would be helpful to gain the trust
with students to learn what is behind surface issues, i.e., being
consistently late.  Part of the work I do is to help students coaching them
to problem-solve issues and to work with them learn about--and
access--resources.  I am betting that the student is highly stressed about
being late, and maybe at wits end.  I've been there, and it can seem like
it is Ground Hog Day every single darn day.

So, yes, the faculty should expect students to promptly attend class.  But,
locking the door may be unsafe most days.  Using the Yes, And principle, I
suggest this: I urge you to walk alongside the student to help them find
solutions to whatever is going on.  They probably have a millions
strengths, yet need to figure out how to pause and grab one to organize
things more productively.

--Janet

Janet E. Mallen, M.S. and I'm first gen!
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__firstgen.naspa.org_why-2Dfirst-2Dgen_students&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=4S7SYQZZZyMrnep9DM44AqnrMVDQTokoT-zNlBu6ARg&s=rlfxryh5d_GSpBd6fZh1UNm6lbWpBIeq-EnSt3Zmi2U&e=>

Assistant Director for Student Success in the Academic Resource Center
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.whitman.edu_academics_academic-2Dresource-2Dcenter&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=4S7SYQZZZyMrnep9DM44AqnrMVDQTokoT-zNlBu6ARg&s=dGTqG1jpeo8Cm0Vx49TsCp2L0yYl8XyYQl0cciXR5DY&e=>

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.whitman.edu_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=4S7SYQZZZyMrnep9DM44AqnrMVDQTokoT-zNlBu6ARg&s=SLyqhzgZfDle63FRv7w8emavlqnR8_Wfq1iEHJE92DQ&e=> 345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362
Office 509.527.5027   FAX 509.526.526.4701
make an appointment at janetmallen.youcanbook.me
Are you a vet?  Ask me about Student Veterans of America
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__studentveterans.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=4S7SYQZZZyMrnep9DM44AqnrMVDQTokoT-zNlBu6ARg&s=V4TmyFNZUuPJeV18kVM9Kvpss0n2uHBcD50d1INHsmw&e=>!

*Any student who faces challenges or has worries about securing food and/or
safe, adequate, and consistent nighttime housing **is urged to contact the
Dean of Students **for support and compassionate assistance.*

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.whitman.edu_student-2Dlife_student-2Dengagement-2Dcenter_handshake&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=4S7SYQZZZyMrnep9DM44AqnrMVDQTokoT-zNlBu6ARg&s=6Kib8CsIa853AEJrHABWuwRdl9PROR71II7FJcWaOsQ&e=>