From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Sam Crandall
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: online tutoring hybrid

Greetings LRNASSTers!

I recently was given an overview of a feature our college district uses which they have dubbed Ask a Librarian.  The Ask a Librarian is a hybrid of in-house librarian support with third party librarian support.  The way that it works is that the library provides staffing for a portion of the day and the third party software provides supplemental staffing for 24/7 support.  Questions are filtered to the in-home librarians prior to the third-party during the times the library is able to staff it.  From the student side, they go to the same place whether or not the in-home librarian is staffed.

My question is...are there any 3rd party tutoring companies that offer the same type of seamless integration?  While I believe in-home can provide better services than any 3rd party (we know the curriculum & faculty), the draw of 3rd party is the capability to reach students 24/7.  I would rather not duplicate services but have a hybrid of in-home and 3rd party options like our Ask a Librarian program.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Sam

[Phoenix College logo]

Sam Crandall, Ed.D.
(She/Her/Hers)
Tutoring & Peer-Assisted Learning Co-Chair | NADE
Instructional Services Manager | Learning Commons
Phoenix College | MARICOPA COMMUNITY COLLEGES
1202 W. Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85013
(602) 285 - 7476

Signature Strengths: Relator, Learner, Restorative, Achiever, Intellection
What's Your Green Dot #livethegreendot