From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Janet Mallen
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Not normally handled in my office

As a solo parent with a disability, and parent of a child with a disability, I know it makes all the difference if someone reaches out to me and compassionately listens, especially when things are going awry.  Along those lines, has anyone talked with the student?  Is the issue unstable childcare, costs for better and more reliable childcare?  Transportation (bus schedules to childcare then to school?  A child that has special needs?  Are there issues at their home that are causing complications?  Does the parent have any assistance to help alleviate issues?  As educators, helping our students prepare for life outside of college, even those with more challenges than most, it would be helpful to gain the trust with students to learn what is behind surface issues, i.e., being consistently late.  Part of the work I do is to help students coaching them to problem-solve issues and to work with them learn about--and access--resources.  I am betting that the student is highly stressed about being late, and maybe at wits end.  I've been there, and it can seem like it is Ground Hog Day every single darn day.

So, yes, the faculty should expect students to promptly attend class.  But, locking the door may be unsafe most days.  Using the Yes, And principle, I suggest this: I urge you to walk alongside the student to help them find solutions to whatever is going on.  They probably have a millions strengths, yet need to figure out how to pause and grab one to organize things more productively.

--Janet

Janet E. Mallen, M.S. and I'm first gen!
Assistant Director for Student Success in the Academic Resource Center

 345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362
Office 509.527.5027   FAX 509.526.526.4701

make an appointment at janetmallen.youcanbook.me

Are you a vet?  Ask me about Student Veterans of America!

Any student who faces challenges or has worries about securing food and/or safe, adequate, and consistent nighttime housing is urged to contact the Dean of Students for support and compassionate assistance.