Hi Kelly,

You are correct to move away from learning styles so that students don't limit themselves in their strategies.  At USF we used a nice study strategies model called the GAMES model.  I have attached it.  We contacted the authors for permission.

This model helps students consider a wide range of strategies.  Of course not all strategies are right for the task or the individual, so when we explained this model we encouraged students to select the strategies that best fit the task.  This model was a handy tool for tutors when working with students and offering additional strategies.

Best,

Pat

Patricia A. Maher, Ph.D.
Former Director, USF Academic Success Center
813-541-8821