Dear Colleagues,

I'm pleased to announce that the 2nd Annual Politics and Computational Social Science (PaCSS) conference will be held at Georgetown University on Wednesday August 28, 2019.

Initial information is available at https://mccourt.georgetown.edu/PaCSS. Program from last year is available at: https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/pacss/.

We will provide updates on application process later at the website and via email.

If you're not familiar with the conference, here is a summary: The data and methodologies available to social scientists have exploded with the emergence of vast archives of passive data collection, large scale online experimentation, and innovative uses of simulation. These data are of a larger magnitude and methods are of a greater computational complexity than approaches that have dominated political science for the last 50 years. This offers the potential for rich insights into society at scale, while simultaneously introducing new ethical and infrastructural challenges. In parallel, the information and communication technologies that have driven these changes are also driving changes in politics, around the world, that require study. In order to understand the political world, it is increasingly important to gain access to the political communication and behavior occurring online. This conference gathering will offer a forum for political science research in this emerging space. Example relevant topics/approaches include:  analysis of social media; text analysis; use of finely granular geographic data; large scale online experimentation. Scholars from all subfields of political science are welcome, as are researchers in other relevant disciplines, such as computer science, sociology, and physics.

David Lazer

Distinguished Professor of Political Science and Computer and Information Science, Northeastern University
Co-Director, NULab for Texts, Maps, and Networks:  http://www.northeastern.edu/nulab/
Visiting Scholar, Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University

EMAIL ETIQUETTE: just because I e-mail at odd hours does not mean I expect you to.
THINK OUR DEMOCRACY NEEDS HELP? Check out our new book, Politics with the People.

PLEASE VOLUNTEER:  http://www.VolunteerScience.com
Check out:  LazerLab.net