From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Cowburn, Casey
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Making Required Study Hours Effective

Alfred State uses mandatory study hours for all at-risk students (EOP, local opportunity program students, probation – approximately 300 students).  We have designated 5 locations across campus as approved options for completing these hours.  Hour requirements are determined by academic standing (opportunity program freshman, 10 hours per week; probation is based on current cumulative GPA ranging from 4 to 10 hours/week).  Success coaches work with students to create effective study schedules to complete all hours and reports are run each week with follow up emails to students not completing their required hours.  We have recently implemented Starfish and flags are raised for students not completing hours as well.  It is not a perfect tracking system as students find ways to “cheat” but data show students who successfully complete their hours have better GPAs and retention rates.  They also hold meetings with success coaches more regularly offering more opportunity for intervention when necessary.

Casey Cowburn, Coordinator of Tutoring Services, Perkins Grant Coordinator

Student Development Center

Alfred State College | 10 Upper College Drive | Alfred, NY 14802
(607) 587-4121