Add me to the camp strongly opposed to mandatory tutoring because I’ve seen exactly what Martin describes.

BUT, what I have seen work is a mandatory learning strategies workshop.  I’ve seen students come not intending to get anything from it, but when they leave they tell me they are sooooo glad they came.  The will even tell me that they didn’t want to come, but they were glad they were required to do so.  When I ask them why they didn’t want to come they’ll say “I didn’t know THIS is what you were going to do!”  When I ask them what they THOUGHT I was going to do, they say they thought the session was just going to tell them to do what they already knew they needed to do, like study harder or spend more time.  Not all of them, but most of them leave thrilled to learn strategies that give them hope of doing so much better.  So maybe the instructor will allow a mandatory workshop instead of mandatory tutoring.

That having been said, some studies have indicated that mandatory tutoring does result in improved grades.  See https://scholarworks.waldenu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1200&context=dissertations.  As with everything, it probably depends on exactly how the tutoring session is structured.

Have a great weekend!
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.

New Online Course on Teach Students How to Learn (https://optimizelearning.org/workshops/teach-students-how-to-learn)

Author of Teach Yourself How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/y9aqwhhx)

Author of Teach Students How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/ogfktwp)

Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success

(Ret) Assistant Vice Chancellor  & Professor of Chemistry

Louisiana State University