Hi Eileen,

We are using multiple measures at Dutchess Community College. We look at the students’ junior year overall GPA and their math and English Regents scores to exempt them from taking the placement exams. For example, if a student has a junior year overall GPA of an 80 or a score of 80 on their English Regents test, then they would not have to take the placement test and will be placed directly into English 101. Math does something similar.

When we migrated to Accuplacer Next Generation, the college decided to only use WritePlacer for those students who’s HS GPA and English Regents scores do not place them into ENG 101. The Math Department created a new math placement test in Lumen through Blackboard. We are no longer testing for reading. The college moved in this direction because the research indicates that the students’ past academic history is a better indicator of academic success than placement tests.

Hope this was helpful.

Jennifer Wrage Ph.D.     (pronouns: She/Her/ Hers)

Director of Academic Services and Testing

Dutchess Community College

53 Pendell Road

Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

845-431-8092