Hello, All.

I was trained that mandatory tutoring is a bad idea for all the good
reasons listed in this thread.

Recently, though I have come across some research showing that it can bear
good fruits: It can help at-risk students to get the support they need, in
the hope they will learn to appreciate its values. I agree, though, that it
should not be done indiscriminately and without any guidance. It wouldn't
be sustainable, among other issues.

Those article and some cases I personally worked with convinced me to give
it a try. This semester, we are piloting a project with Spanish faculty.
Students doing poorly on their first and/or second tests, will be advised,
by the faculty, to come and see one of our tutors. The student will have a
sheet with the list of what they need to work on in order to improve. Some
faculty will give a few points for going to tutoring, some won't.  We will
all sit down at the end of the semester and see how it worked.

I see students coming to their first year in college, and some of them
struggle for different reasons: sometimes, they are not at all adults (hey,
some of them are not even 18); some were never really taught to be adults
or required to act as such before. Some don't like the idea of having to
ask for help; other don't even know there is help available until their
faculty points that out. To me, being an educator, means I will do my best
to give students the instruments to grow and become strong, independent
learners, and that is also the ability to recognize when we need help and
how/where to find it.

The proverb is true, you can bring a horse to water but you cannot force it
to drink; but we can maybe think that we can bring the horse to tutoring
for a first (and limited) taste of it, and see if they will appreciate it.
Of course, some horses will still not want to drink and that is fine too.

Just my two cents.

Ira

Ira Fabri
*Pronouns: She, Her, Hers*