The book  ``The Human Network'' by Matthew O. Jackson is now available:   https://web.stanford.edu/~jacksonm/books.html#book2
It discusses how a handful of simple and quantifiable features of human networks yield enormous insight into why we behave the way we do.   Two threads are interwoven: why human networks have special features, and how those features determine our power, opinions, opportunities, behaviors, and accomplishments.  Some of the topics included are:  the different ways in which a person’s position in a network determines their influence;  which systematic errors we make when forming opinions based on what we learn from our friends; how financial contagions work and why are they different from the spread of a flu; how splits in our social networks feed inequality, immobility, and polarization; and how network patterns of trade and globalization are changing international conflict and wars.
The book is non-technical, with no equations but many pictures, and is full of rich examples and cases that illustrate the points.  It is not only useful for explaining network science to a lay audience, but also as a supplement for a course on networks.