Hi all,

Sorry for spamming the list with something other than a conference solicitation, but I have an actual question about social network analysis. Weird...

Back in November, Jim Moody inquired about the collection of 742 sociomatrices James Davis analyzed in his classic (1970) paper:

Davis, J.A. 1970. Clustering and hierarchy in interpersonal relations: Testing two graph theoretical models on 742 sociomatrices. American Sociological Review. 35 (5):843-851. (doi:10.2307/2093295)

From this collection of sociomatrices, Davis concludes that there is a deficit of 201 triads and, among 030 triads, a deficit of cyclical triads (what Davis calls 030B, but what would be 030C in the standard MAN nomenclature).

I know that Jim was unsuccessful in his efforts to find these data. The CASOS data repository (and elsewhere) has the Allison Davis two-mode data from the (1941) Deep South book, not the James Davis collection of sociomatrices.

Davis notes that the data (from a larger collection of 901 that he and Leinhardt assembled) were on punch cards. Has this resource been lost to science? It would be a real shame, since the work of Davis and Leinhardt is so foundational to nearly everything we do.

Anyone have any leads?

Cheers,
Jamie

--
James Holland Jones
Associate Professor of Earth System Science &

473 Via Ortega, Room 140
Stanford, CA 94305-4216

phone:	650-721-2484
fax:	650-498-5099
email:	[log in to unmask]
url:	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__profiles.stanford.edu_james-2Djones&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=EHRbNeMORc8-XS8wTSZI_T23w5aF5IYhmRNXtURHOB0&s=Bteu9TGPpliIB_gVKGNQYGruW99S-SMURREzxHygF4Y&e=