SOCNETters-

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Ancsa Hannak and I wanted to point you to an exciting workshop at ICWSM (*June
11th, Munich*) called Complex Systems Perspectives on Algorithmic Bias
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__kennyjoseph.github.io_csab19&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=-UeCrkIMwdKX6eZdnyf5cq1zPiL84F3XEqnw_pB4Jjg&s=nZsFsJ2zxGNoFhoyybyQti6KXaCdDz6kNQW5wbDq2zE&e=>.

We encourage you to submit your 1-2 page papers on a range of topics
relating to bias, but obviously most relevant here, for any simulation
models of bias in online systems.  Papers can include position papers,
initial results, summaries of published papers and the authors of accepted
papers will be given an 8-10 minute slot to present their work and receive
feedback during the workshop.

Please submit all inquiries about the CfP and any submissions to

Dates:
*Submission deadline: April 7th*
Decisions sent: April 12th
Workshop date: June 11th

We have an exciting lineup of speakers and panelist, including keynotes
from Krishna Gummadi and Seda Gurses, and panelists from law, sociology,
computer science and psychology.  We look forward to similarly diverse
submissions!

Best,
Aniko Hannak & Kenny Joseph

More info on the workshop below:

--------------------------
*Abstract*
From search result ranking to friend recommendation, algorithms used in
today’s online platforms exist within a coevolving universe of model
parameters, institutional constraints and the whims of platform users. This
workshop will focus on the development and exposition of research that
seeks to model, quantify or theorize this complex system of algorithms,
platforms and users. Through a mix of presentations of accepted abstracts,
presentations from keynote speakers, and panel discussions, this workshop
will bring to the forefront empirical, theoretical, and simulation-based
research that helps to clarify this interplay using a complex systems
perspective. We take a broad view of what a “complex system perspective”
entails, emphasizing only that there is a goal of understanding how these
various pieces fit and evolve together. As such, we are interested in work
on, e.g., algorithmic feedback loops and the impact of algorithmic changes
on social media systems, using a variety of methodological approaches, e.g.
qualitative interviews, empirical studies, and agent-based models.

*Themes of the workshop:*

*1. How can we leverage quantitative, qualitative, and simulation-based
methods to push forward our understanding of algorithmic bias from a
complex systems perspective?*
Within our community, research is dominated by quantitative study of
observational data. Such an approach has provided important insights into
algorithmic bias, but also cannot easily be used to study feedback loops
that help produce this bias. This workshop will discuss new approaches to
quantitative evaluation of observational data, as well as new quantitative
experimental approaches, but also will emphasize the benefits of
qualitative and simulation-based approaches. Qualitative study can help to
identify, e.g., how algorithms are (or are not) put to work across
difficult-to-quantify social contexts2. Similarly, while identifying
problems in real systems through empirical measurements is a great first
step towards accountability, we can not possibly investigate each system
one-by-one, as they change over time, etc. using empirical measurements. To
study these kinds of behaviors, it is instead useful to approach such a
problem from a simulation perspective. Using simulation, we can assess how
different potential changes to the system impact the evolution of platforms
and their users over time.

*2. How can theory from the social sciences (and/or social physics) help us
to understand complex systems of algorithmic bias?*
In addition to the various methodological perspectives that must be brought
to bear on this problem, this workshop also emphasizes the need for various
theoretical perspectives. In many cases, applicable theory from the social
sciences may not be known to, e.g., computer scientists, and conceptual
tools from social physics used to describe complex systems may be unknown
to both social scientists and computer scientists. To this end, this
workshop seeks to bring to bear theoretical perspectives from across these
disciplines that use a complex systems perspective to help explain or
understand algorithmic bias.

*3. Can (and should) we try to “fix” algorithmic bias? If so, what does
that solution look like? If not, why, and what should we be doing instead?*
Recent research has argued that the problem of algorithmic bias lies
largely in structures of bias and discrimination that lay beyond the
boundaries of model parameters. Further, developing a “fair” algorithm may
be difficult, particularly because definitions of fairness are themselves
varying and socially constructed. At the same time, however, at the scale
of today’s social media, it is obvious that some automation is required if
we wish to, e.g. provide friend recommendations on Facebook. How, then, can
we move forward in a world where algorithms seem destined to be both
necessary and that may never fully be "de-biased”?
Kenny Joseph