Tenure-track Assistant Professorship at University College Dublin

Closing Date: 22nd April 2019

Dear all,

University College Dublin launched a new presidential initiative to hire new tenure-track Assistant Professors across all subjects. The School of Sociology is likely to benefit from this scheme because the Central Pool Academic Appointments Policy favours Schools with lower staff numbers (compared to others) and puts an emphasis on strategic areas, such as computational social science, network science or data science. We would be delighted to see strong applications from early-career scholars in social network analysis.

Further information: www.ucd.ie/adastrafellows

Overview

UCD is a research-intensive global university with purpose, drive and ambition. To contribute to the achievement of our mission and vision, we wish to hire additional faculty who share our ambition and our values: excellence, creativity, collegiality, engagement, integrity and diversity.

UCD has developed a new Central Pool Academic Appointments initiative that is aligned with the University Strategy key objectives:

1. Increase the quality, quantity and impact of our research, scholarship and innovation.
2. Provide an educational experience that defines international best practice.
3. Consolidate and strengthen our disciplines.
4. Conduct strong interdisciplinary research and education in important areas of national and global need.
5. Attract and retain an excellent and diverse cohort of students, faculty and staff.
6. Build our engagement locally, nationally and internationally.
7. Develop and strengthen our University community.

The UCD Ad Astra Fellows programme is one part of this initiative. Approximately 65 appointments will be made at Lecturer/Assistant Professor grade each year targeting high potential early-stage academics. Applications are invited across all academic disciplines represented in UCD. Excellence, creativity and the interest and capacity to engage across disciplines are underpinning values.

The UCD Ad Astra Fellows programme is extremely competitive and applicants are expected to have research outputs in the pipeline that will readily transition to research activity within UCD.

Terms

The initial term will be five years with the possibility of permanency after a four-year review of performance against targets set with the Head of School at commencement and approved at College and University level. These targets will include applying for a minimum of one externally-funded research grant each year, and there will normally be an expectation that at least one of these grant applications is successful for the four-year review to be satisfactory.

Relocation expenses will be paid in accordance with the UCD Relocation Policy up to a maximum of €4500.

Appointees will have a reduced teaching load for up to three years, with a teaching load of between one third and one half of the standard teaching load in the first year, between one half and two thirds in the second year and between two thirds and one of the standard teaching load in the third year.

Appointees will  receive research support for the first five years, which will normally consist of a PhD student scholarship and a budget for research costs of €5000 per annum.

Appointees without a formal university teaching qualification will be expected to undertake the UCD Professional Certificate in University Teaching and Learning. Further requirements for satisfactory performance will be determined and will include a specified number of high-quality research publications appropriate for the discipline.

Application

Candidates will apply through the link on www.ucd.ie/adastrafellows

Applications will consist of a cover letter, in which the applicant will describe how their academic interests fit with those of UCD, a complete CV including all research publications and research grants to date together with any publications submitted for publication but not yet published, and the names and contact details of three potential referees.

School, College and Central committees will support the scoring of all applications in accordance with the Central Pool Academic Appointments Policy. This scoring includes the track record and potential of the applicant; the student:faculty ratio in the relevant school relative to comparator group norms for the discipline; the size and strength of the relevant UCD discipline group/research group; the future potential of the relevant disciplinary or cross-disciplinary areas; the alignment of the applicant with the priority areas of UCD; the contribution the applicant will make to EDI goals; and the current and future availability of suitable facilities.

Failing to meet a threshold criterion under any category will result in exclusion.

As, with the exception of the track record and potential of the candidate, the scores are influenced by the situation within UCD and in particular within the individual schools, prospective candidates should contact the Head of School of their chosen school before submitting an application for advice as to whether their application will be competitive.

Applications will be assessed at School, College and University level, and only applications considered to be competitive at the next level will proceed to that level. Applicants whose applications do not proceed will be advised as soon as practicable.

Applicants short-listed at the University level will be invited to interview and present a seminar to potential fellow colleagues. Scores will be adjusted based on performance in both the interview and the seminar, and a final decision will be made on whether or not an offer will be made.

This comprehensive and robust selection process will assist UCD in deciding who will join us as Ad Astra Fellows.

 --

Dr. Thomas Grund
Associate Professor