Dear socnetters,

we kindly invite you to submit an abstract to the session “Qualitative Perspectives in Social Network Analysis” at the 4th European Conference on Social Networks EUSN 2019, September 9-12 in Zurich, Switzerland.

Qualitative approaches in Social Network Analysis (SNA) are a rapidly growing field of expertise. A variety of methodological traditions and theories inspire this research, including conversation analysis, ethnography, small story research, field theory, social world theory and interactionism. In empirical studies diverse qualitative methods are applied and different kinds of data are taken as qualitative data material including interviews, observations and visualizations. Fundamental to the qualitative approaches is a close entanglement of theory and method in the sense of a methodical holism. Their internal coherence is essential since theoretical assumptions orient methods and vice versa. In this session we want to engage in a discussion on how different traditions and schools of thought orient qualitative research on social networks. We invite participants to present their empirical approaches and to discuss how they integrate theory, methodology and method in their research.

Contributions may tackle questions such as the following:

Submission Details:

Abstracts for 20-minute paper presentations with up to 500 words can be submitted here: https://www.eusn2019.ethz.ch/?page_id=173

When submitting your abstract, select the Organized Session title "Qualitative Perspectives in Social Network Analysis" from the list of session titles.

Looking forward to your contributions!

Session co-organizers

Luisa Peters, Andreas Herz, Inga Truschkat (Universität Hildesheim) Stefan Bernhard (IAB Nürnberg)