We have an extended deadline, until tomorrow. Please consider submitting,
and joining us!

*CALL FOR PAPERS*
*Workshop on Critical Data Science*
at the 13th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media
(ICWSM-2019),
Munich, Germany, *June 11, 2019*

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__projects.iq.harvard.edu_critical-2Ddata-2Dscience&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=wa6hPCPcVtVokU3TH6I0d7GXEFe81NZZp5vmsG4b6Aw&s=acYt0VtVaPufsTKVnH_fmYvlQD_Uak52hGPryBxqZrc&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__projects.iq.harvard.edu_critical-2Ddata-2Dscience&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=-St6b7a7AuTJ1osSu2quUzMdQDXQcfz-rplY6QL9GaA&s=XsswtmNOvNbRcYTKicRiCkBbdgohgXtcgR9OGCGjbik&e=>

*Submissions deadline: March 25, 2019 Extended to: April 3, 2019*
*Acceptance notification: April 12, 2019*

We invite submissions to the Workshop on Critical Data Science, taking
place on June 11, 2019 at the 13th International AAAI Conference on Web and
Social Media (ICWSM-2019) in Munich, Germany.

CALL FOR PAPERS
The social world is far messier than technical training prepares one for.
Among data scientists trained in fields like computer science and
statistics are those experiencing a sense of vertigo: we start to realize
both the ways in which modeling breaks down on human beings, requiring
different notions of rigor, and the potentially negative social impacts of
modeling, requiring responsible engagement and activity.

We define “critical data science” as our vision of the practice of working
with and modeling data (the “data science”), combined with identifying and
questioning the core assumptions commonly underlying that practice (the
“critical”). The workshop seeks to combine cultures of critique with those
of practice, bringing together data scientists and scholars from computer
science and the social sciences around responsibly carrying out data
science on social phenomena, and creating sustainable frameworks for
interdisciplinary collaboration.

The workshop will involve short reflective presentations by participants,
combined with a creative group-based activity to further support reflection
of their own and neighboring scientific practices and to create
opportunities for further cooperation. The workshop will conclude with a
wrap-up for collecting resources and discussing future outcomes, and
producing a draft compilation of best practices and a list of priorities
for further engagement.

Submissions may either be non-archival 2-page statements of interest or
motivation, or archival papers up to 4,000 words. Accepted archival papers
will be published in Workshop Proceedings of the 13th International AAAI
Conference on Web and Social Media
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.frontiersin.org_research-2Dtopics_9706&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=-St6b7a7AuTJ1osSu2quUzMdQDXQcfz-rplY6QL9GaA&s=wQDFuM_Os67WRDuMh5zS4zIb6f67664OSajmuxTUDZ4&e=>,
a special issue of the journal Frontiers in Big Data. Open Access
publishing costs will be waived for authors without institutional support
for covering these fees.

Topics include:

   - What should be standards and practices both of methodological rigor,
   and of respect for subjects, when carrying out computational research on
   social systems?
   - What role can discussions of methods and instruments play in larger
   critiques of the limitations of data science?
   - What are points of fundamental disagreement or diverging
   orientations/priorities between disciplines?
   - What can we learn from the long tradition of critical scrutiny in
   statistics?
   - What combinations of experiences and/or readings has led data
   scientists to recognize, and perhaps even adopt, ‘non-technical’ ways of
   framing the world? How do and can these ways of knowing interact with a
   modeling approach?
   - What philosophical commitments or normative orientations, if adopted
   by data scientists, would produce a principled data science? How can those
   be realized in interdisciplinary teams?
   - What might it look like to use modeling critically and reflexively, or
   to contextualize what we can or cannot know from modeling from within the
   modeling process?
   - What can we learn from works looking at the social impact of
   implemented model-based systems?
   - What sorts of practices, coalitions, and collaborations can include
   marginalized voices into data science rather than exclude them?
   - Beyond a space for critical reflection, what can be the positive
   project of a critical data science?
   - How can we design collaborations in critical data science?

See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__projects.iq.harvard.edu_critical-2Ddata-2Dscience&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=wa6hPCPcVtVokU3TH6I0d7GXEFe81NZZp5vmsG4b6Aw&s=acYt0VtVaPufsTKVnH_fmYvlQD_Uak52hGPryBxqZrc&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__projects.iq.harvard.edu_critical-2Ddata-2Dscience&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=-St6b7a7AuTJ1osSu2quUzMdQDXQcfz-rplY6QL9GaA&s=XsswtmNOvNbRcYTKicRiCkBbdgohgXtcgR9OGCGjbik&e=>
for
more information and submission instructions.

Contact at <[log in to unmask]>.

IMPORTANT DATES
*March 25, 2019 April 3, 2019* – Workshop submission deadline
April 12, 2019 – Acceptance notification
April 15, 2019 – ICWSM Early bird registration deadline
April 22, 2019 – Final (Camera-Ready) copies due
May 10, 2019 - ICWSM Late Registration Deadline
June 11, 2019 - Workshop Date
June 12-14, 2019 - Main ICWSM Workshop

ORGANIZERS
*Momin M. Malik* <[log in to unmask]>, Berkman Klein Center for
Internet & Society at Harvard University
*Katja Mayer* <[log in to unmask]>, Department of Science and
Technology Studies, University of Vienna, and ZSI Centre for Social
Innovation Vienna
*Hemank Lamba* <[log in to unmask]>, School of Computer Science, Carnegie
Mellon University
*Claudia Müller-Birn* <[log in to unmask]>, Institute of Computer
Science, Freie Universität Berlin