I am a fan of the Game of Thrones Network out of Northeastern: https://news.northeastern.edu/2019/04/11/the-game-of-thrones-social-network/

There is also the Harry Potter Support Network Dataset: https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~snijders/siena/HarryPotterData.html

M. Aaron Guest

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Charlie Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, May 13, 2019 at 3:16 PM
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [SOCNET] Networks in Pop Culture

Hi SOCNETers,

I teach an undergraduate course on social networks and I also teach several topics on social networks in other classes (e.g. community organizing, community psychology). I like to use pop culture as an example of how social networks function, but I am sparse (and dated) on examples. An example I've been using most is the sexual networks of the show "Grays Anatomy" to highlight various social network concepts. I present a sociogram of sexual relationships within the show as a visual example.

My questions is, does anyone have any similar sociograms for other pop culture examples? Unfortunately, I am extraordinarily out of step with the current pop culture so if I were to create my own they would be dated at best (cameos of 90's TV shows, anyone?). I am thinking something like homicide networks of "Breaking Bad," music collaborations, or something to that effect.

I welcome your thoughts and ideas!

Thanks!

Charlie

Salude,

Charlie R. Collins, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
School of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences
email: [log in to unmask]

phone: 1-425-352-3594
office: UW1-353

**I am attempting to build stronger relationships. As such, if this email exchange could be handled in a brief phone conversation, I encourage you to call my cell at 530-321-0155. I look forward to hearing from you.**