Hi Diane,

At the Binghamton University Educational Opportunity Program's Tutorial
Program, we focus on two different levels of training and orientation for
tutors.  They are as follows:

   1. *CRLA Level 01 Training:  *My center, along with two other tutorial
   centers on campus, collaborate in holding a 6-hour, in-person CRLA training
   for newly hired tutors twice a year (once before the Fall semester and once
   before the Spring semester).  In addition, those tutors must complete a
   series of online training modules meant to get them certified in the other
   required four hours of training.
   2. *EOP Training and Orientation:*  While the above training is
   extensive and in-depth to train tutors on a more general level, it doesn't
   help in the following ways: 1) the unique and specific demands of working
   with EOP students; 2) tutors who were hired either before or after the
   above training dates.  To combat this, I not only hold my own orientation
   and training sessions for newly hired tutors in conjunction with the CRLA
   Level 01 Training that focuses on EOP and its specific demands.  For tutors
   hired before or after the training, I require that they go through a series
   of online modules and assessments, along with a one-on-one meeting with me,
   before they begin tutoring.  More than that, I require those tutors to
   attend the CRLA training sessions the next time they are held.

All of this training is both mandatory and tutors are compensated.  I have
thought about having a mandatory, for-credit course that would focus on
tutor training as it would provide a more comprehensive instruction, more
time to practice, as well as shift much of the costs of training from the
tutorial center to the tutor, but there are many issues that go along with
this that include, but are not limited to: 1) the pay rate and workload of
tutors who were trained in courses versus those that weren't; and 2) the
issue of how to train newly hired tutors who began after a for-credit
course is in session.

I wish you luck in figuring out the right answer to your question and I
hope that you are enjoying your summer.

Ryan

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 12:51 PM Brett Gray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello Diane,
>
> I definitely recommend required trainings for tutors.  However, if there
> is a cost associated with your training course (for example, if the course
> is for credit), then that cost creates issues around accessibility and
> equity.  Applicants who are otherwise highly qualified, capable, and could
> greatly serve your tutoring program, but don't have the means to pay for a
> required training class, are excluded from an amazing experience working as
> a tutor.
>
> If there is a cost, it might be worth reassessing the training delivery
> model to minimize that barrier.  Please don't hesitate to reach out if you
> would like share ideas or if you have any follow-up questions.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Brett Gray
> Assistant Director - Learning Support Initiatives
> SMART Learning Commons
> Office of Undergraduate Education
> University of Minnesota Twin Cities
> Pronouns:  he/him/his