We used to re-hire any interested tutors, provided they met our
expectations, but a year ago I started having our current tutors
interested in returning complete a re-application in which we not only
ask about what they would like to tutor (based on faculty
recommendation) but also to self evaluate their performance on a
number of key issues, including some procedural issues we have had
trouble getting tutors to comply with (Making sure to report all SI
attendance, for example).  I found that doing this process, even
though all were re-hired, made them value the job more and think about
their strengths and areas to work on.  If you're interested, I can
email you the reapplication we use at our center - I devised it so
it's perfectly fine for me to share it.  I also talked about this in
one of my recent Innovate Educators webinars on tutor assessment.

All the best,
Mike

Michael B. Kassel, Ph. D.
The University of Michigan-Flint
Tutorial Coordinator
Adjunct Faculty in History and American Culture

Michael B. Kassel, Ph. D.
Tutorial Coordinator
Academic Success Center
285 University Pavilion