From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Debbie Malewicki
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2019 11:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: References for Centralized Learning Center

HI Rachel,

Laurie’s presentation and study, noted below, is the only formal study on the topic of which I’m aware, although centralizing has been a best practice for many years.

One of the questions I’d ask is if you’re talking about centralizing management or services or both.  In my last position, my department provided centralized management with the majority of our services in one location (Library on the main campus), but we provided peer tutoring on three other campuses and in several spots around the central campus, and SI was sometimes in our central facility and occasionally in an academic building that housed classes for that major.

All of our staff reported to me and my associate director, though; trained with us in the central facility; brought their paperwork to us in the central facility; etc.  Therefore, there was a continuity in training, oversight, policies, etc. within our department in addition to fiscal savings that is inevitably lost with different supervisors potentially duplicating work.  On the other hand, it does provide the opportunity for more attention and specialization in the service offered.

Unfortunately, some other departments set up additional tutoring and study services that often contradicted our policies and protocols, and I spent a fair amount of time helping students understand how and why we were different and (e.g., we won’t correct your homework problems) soothing upset faculty who objected to policies outside of our area.  For those reasons, amongst others, I’m a huge proponent of centralized management but recognize that sometimes bringing the services to the students is the better way to go.

To clarify, my department handled academic content support.  Coaching, advising, and other services were handled by our sister departments, which were housed in the next building as there wasn’t sufficient room to combine all three even though we seriously explored it several years earlier.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, President

Integrity 1st Learning Support Solutions, LLC

446A Blake Street – Suite 101

New Haven, CT  06515

(203) 800-4100

www.Integrity1stLSS.com

Facebook:  @Integrity1stLSS

[log in to unmask]" alt="Integrity1st_gold_black_">