Jeremy,

Thank you for you input.  Credit level college algebra will also be offered.  The RAs are excited to have tutoring offered in the residential halls.  They will be another form of advertising.  Hopefully, students will listen to them about the benefits of tutoring.

Danna Baggett

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Jeremy A Joseph
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 8:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutors in residence halls

WARNING: This email is from outside TJC. Do not click on links or attachments unless you expect them from the sender and know the content is safe.

We have tried tutoring in the res halls for a couple years for our Math emporium courses. Students that came to our Learning Commons still came to the Learning Commons and did not use the res hall tutoring. So, we paid our tutors to sit there and stare at a wall for 4 hours each night, 6 PM – 10 PM. We eventually stopped trying, and now the Math Emporium sends their student assistants into the res halls and claim to have success with it by staying until midnight (I personally refused to have my tutors stay that late for liability reasons). They don’t have any data to actually prove that they are getting students to come, and our numbers at the Learning Commons have not decreased at all.

Dr. McGuire is absolutely correct that the students don’t want us invading their house. Couple that with the fact that the tutoring in the halls is only for remedial/developmental courses, and now you are stigmatizing every student that would want to go there as needing remedial services. Finally, let’s just be honest with ourselves. If the student cannot walk from their res hall to the tutoring center (at BGSU the main freshman dorm is next door to our building), they aren’t going to walk downstairs for it either. Tutoring in the residence halls isn’t leading a horse to water, it’s digging irrigation channels to the horse. But, if the horse isn’t thirsty, the horse still won’t drink.

The solution is to make the horse thirsty, not make the water more accessible. Time to find some saltines!

[Bowling Green State University]
Jeremy Joseph
Mathematics, Statistics, and Supplemental Instruction Coordinator
The Learning Commons
Bowling Green State University
140 William T. Jerome Library
Bowling Green, OH 43403