Hi Danna,

The program I was referencing was a summer boot camp for incoming students, so in a sense we had a captive and driven audience as they were motivated to test out of classes to advance sooner in their major.  I think this reality played a significant role in attendance, which was high (almost all students in the group most nights) all but the last year the program ran.  The program was announced prior to the arrival of the students to them and their parents, upon their arrival, and by the residential assistants.  I also showed up in their classes and introduced the tutors and the service each year.

The peer tutors who supported each class attended class with the students as well and worked in conjunction with the faculty for exceptional communication.  The peer tutors may have only focused on math or chemistry in classroom attendance but were capable of supporting both classes, so students didn’t need to switch tutors if they preferred.  We also placed a professional tutor in the mix for students who preferred someone with more experience, although they were typically less utilized.  Conversely, they gave us an administrative presence in addition to me stopping in for a few minutes most nights.

Outside of this program, we tried a sports management and business tutor in the off-campus housing (fraternity, I think) for many of those students for a year.  Students were happy to chat with him about anything except their coursework.  We saw essentially the same outcome for those tutors in a mandatory study hall for student athletes, but when Athletics gave the students a tutoring option in our Center, it was well utilized.

My understanding is that my predecessor did some tutoring out of the residential dorms, but it wasn’t successful, and the program ended shortly before my arrival.  The school then set up living and learning communities by major in certain dorms with the “tutors” being supervised by a faculty member in the major.  My department wasn’t involved in that program, although I occasionally hired someone who had worked in it.  It seems like they saw a decent number of students, and it was advertised through Residential Life, their major, their faculty, etc., which helped.  However, it became clear over time that they were more study group leaders than tutors, and I heard about some definite issues crossing boundaries insofar as doing homework problems as a group.  The last part was an ongoing issue because faculty mistook their policies for ours and would suggest students avoid tutoring because “the tutors do the work for you.”  I’m not a proponent of essentially unsupervised undergraduate tutors because it’s too easy to cross that line.

As far as other marketing is concerned, if you want to write to me directly, I’ll send you a PPT presentation or two that I’ve presented nationally on the subject.  We increased our departmental (not residential housing-based) utilization levels about 500% in my first four years at the University, so there are some approaches in the PPTs that you may find useful.

When all is said and done, I concur with most of my peers on this thread that residential-based tutoring doesn’t tend to be a particularly effective or well attended service unless you have the kind of “captive audience” we did in the short term for that summer bootcamp.  That much being said, you may be one of the exceptions, so it doesn’t hurt to try something new.  Wishing you the best with it!

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, President

Integrity 1st Learning Support Solutions, LLC

446A Blake Street – Suite 101

New Haven, CT  06515

(203) 800-4100

www.Integrity1stLSS.com

Facebook:  @Integrity1stLSS

[log in to unmask]" alt="Integrity1st_gold_black_">