We did an outstanding undergraduate tutor, graduate tutor, professional tutor, and administrative staff person of the year in my last department.  I’ll be following the same practice is my new business.

We would ask for nominations for qualified staff in each category.

Qualifications typically included:

Once those folks were nominated, we read feedback for the people who voted for each person in an online survey.  Then the associate director, peer tutoring coordinator, and I (director) met privately and talked about each nominee, looked at the feedback, considered who had gone above and beyond and how, and voted with a majority rules approach.

The selected folks saw their name inscribed on the plaque for their award with the year beside it, which hangs in the reception area; received a certificate; and were honored in the same ceremony for CRLA certification.  Student staff received a $50 honorarium and professionals $100, post taxes.  Our student staff were additionally recognized at the spring honors/awards ceremony conducted by the university.  We used the same framed certificate for each ceremony and reclaimed it in between.

I’m not sure to what extent you’d follow this process for a monthly award, but it worked well for us as an annual practice.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, President

Integrity 1st Learning Support Solutions, LLC

446A Blake Street – Suite 101

New Haven, CT  06515

(203) 800-4100

www.Integrity1stLSS.com