Ours is a campus of just over 3,000 students so the vast majority of our academic and residential buildings lie within a few city blocks. However, we attempted to offer residence hall drop-in help sessions within our freshmen dormitories for students enrolled in two of our largest science courses that also have the highest D,F,W rates. Despite marketing these sessions through signage, direct emails to those enrolled in the courses, and social media venues, we had little attendance over the two years we tried the sessions. When we surveyed the students enrolled in the courses, the feedback we received was that they preferred to obtain their assistance within the science center so that is where we now host our sessions and attendance is vastly improved. Perhaps they just did not want their friends or peers to know that they were getting help when in the dorm, but that in the venue of the science departments themselves it was okay to seek out this assistance???

Janet Pinkham
Endowed Director
Academic Success Center

To schedule an appointment with me:  calendly.com/pinkham

Hope College
VanZoeren Hall
41 Graves Place, Room 261, Holland, MI 49423, PO Box 9000, Holland, MI 49422-9000
hope.edu/offices/academic-success-center/ | hope.edu