I’ve been following this thread with great interest.   I have a hypothesis about why residence hall tutoring doesn’t get much interest from students.

When I taught at Cornell we had Faculty Fellows who would hold office hours in the residence halls.  When very few students attended, we asked them why.  The students told us that they wanted to separate their academic life from their home life, just as faculty like to separate their work life from their home life.  They said that we wouldn’t want them to show up at our homes asking course questions, so why would we think they’d want us in their homes?  I don’t know if this is what’s going on, but we also tried tutoring in the residence halls when I was there, and it didn’t get any traction.

I’ve just learned that at LSU Res Life has their own tutoring program that was previously unassociated with the learning center.  But starting this summer there are plans for Res Life to partner with the learning center so that the tutors can be trained and certified.  So we’ll see if this partnership results in increased attendance.

I’m curious to hear about any best practices that get students to use tutoring in the residence halls in an effective manner – not just rolling out of bed in their pajamas to get anwers to their homework the night before it’s due, or a quick test prep session the night before the exam!

One last thing:   Make sure you call them residence halls and not dorms.  The res life people won’t like it if you call them dorms.   See http://www.uh.edu/af/news/August11/housing2.htm for an explanation.  lJ

Hoping everyone is off to a great summer!
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.

New Online Course on Teach Students How to Learn (https://optimizelearning.org/workshops/teach-students-how-to-learn)

Author of Teach Yourself How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/y9aqwhhx)

Author of Teach Students How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/ogfktwp)

Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success

(Ret) Assistant Vice Chancellor  & Professor of Chemistry

Louisiana State University