All student positions at higher education institutions are "at will" as far as I know.  I live in Connecticut, so legally all employment is in an "at will" format here.

In terms of returning students, shortly after midterm, I send out an availability form for the next semester.  All staff complete their availability for the next term, indicate number of hours they wish to work, add new classes they believe they will be qualified to support (We double check transcripts after grades are posted to ensure there are no unexpected discrepancies.), and the form includes a checkbox for anyone who is not planning to return.

These forms are typically due back by the end of the first week of December or May for returning staff.

I like the two-in-one approach because if I see a significant drop in availability or number of hours someone wants to work, I'm not learning about it a week before classes begin and after I've done the semester schedule.  (Naturally those surprises still pop up as well.)

Presuming the tutor/receptionist/computer lab monitor is in good standing and has acceptably completed this form, they return with a new set of bursary or work study paperwork issued.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, President

Integrity 1st Learning Support Solutions, LLC

446A Blake Street – Suite 101

New Haven, CT  06515

(203) 800-4100

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.Integrity1stLSS.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=shgKWfXC8Tt4BnmCf7ps2yrTI7BrPpy2kYuW_0cjAhc&s=ywoY0J9R89ZgAb-2C-phGUl0f7CtlnJWOMNqIkl2_os&e=

Facebook:  @Integrity1stLSS