From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Michael Kassel
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [External Sender] Increasing SI attendance

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Mid-State Technical College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
What are the most effective strategies you've used to increase SI attendance? We find low attendance, especially for Math SI, and have attempted a few things:

  1.  Posters in class announcing days and times of SI sessions
  2.  Encouraging SI leaders to use Blackboard email to all students to discuss upcoming topics (not just a session reminder) for this week's session
  3.  Visits to classes by Tutorial/SI Coordinator
  4.  Faculty extra credit for session attendance (if they chose to do so, as well as optional extra credit for those who cannot attend)
  5.  SI Promo video (two minutes) played during the SI intro. Here is a link to the video I created: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DIonmsd8B7Zc&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=YFPAfwjJ3kXd-S_DZ32-TCUf87ry3S0k_WoztkUsq-4&s=1K9T1wikzm07xmrbG3dgrTPlZeYMpcSfk4oLyXOA1Jk&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DIonmsd8B7Zc&d=DwMFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=K_7iIjtaGQABDUioR5ODRhvhMdTy62gF9Q1uOktc0g0&s=QhnZnN3rvKcutZItydh0UK89NOvzGlnCLm1WGMZjmNU&e=>
For all our efforts, we still sometimes suffer from low attendance - what are you doing on your campus?

Just a note on the video - this was not scripted - I spent about a half hour interviewing each of the actual SI leaders (and one student) and just asked some basic questions and then edited this together selecting the best parts of what they had said)
.

Michael B. Kassel, Ph. D.
Tutorial Coordinator
Adjunct Lecturer in History and American Culture
285 University Pavilion
(810) 766-6773

Emily Janssen
Academic Coach
Mid-State Technical College / Wisconsin Rapids Campus
500 32nd Street North
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
715/422-5647

mstc.edu<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mstc.edu&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=YFPAfwjJ3kXd-S_DZ32-TCUf87ry3S0k_WoztkUsq-4&s=uLvICzWP2dcgcQEDw-QZTFXOf_MD_quptM1sROXpBjo&e= >
LIKE us at facebook.com/MidStateTech<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_MidStateTech&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=YFPAfwjJ3kXd-S_DZ32-TCUf87ry3S0k_WoztkUsq-4&s=cJ6ACK4ndF85f0zDD7K3MsuaTpJ6Y5Kk19_cSmf1qi0&e= >
FOLLOW us at twitter.com/FollowMSTC <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.twitter.com_FollowMSTC&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=YFPAfwjJ3kXd-S_DZ32-TCUf87ry3S0k_WoztkUsq-4&s=cI-CIaC3hfcIxXDfEd1XieHGp0qfjuNaahDFP4Cw_fQ&e= >

[MSTC]

This email transmission is intended only for the use of the individual to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the recipient of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and then delete the email destroying all copies.