Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for sharing this additional detail! Definitely some meaningful differences from SI, but it does sound like a great program – and a fairly easy sell – for math classes.

Thanks again for the information!

Emily

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Stephanie Weatherford
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 8:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [External Sender] Increasing SI attendance

Thank you, Emily!

Each group is different depending on their needs. Some are more hands-on and some are not. Of course, we more highly encourage the hands-off. When students have homework questions, we encourage the tutors to refer back to an example that is similar. They then get the clients to figure out how to work the example problem. Then, the client works the homework problem and the tutor checks it. We ask that the tutors be somewhat prepared for learning teams by bringing old notes or a textbook (or both), but they do not need to do any "major" prep work. We do not pay them to prepare for their learning teams. Our goal is for the learning teams to be "client-lead". One of the things the tutor is supposed to do during the first learning team of the semester is ask the clients what they hope to gain out of their learning teams. They explain that it's not a "homework" session, but that they may have some time to work on their homework. We feel that a little bit of time to work on homework is not bad as long as the tutor explains "why" and gets the client to work the problems themselves.

I hope this helps!

Stephanie Weatherford

Program Director – Math and Computer Science

Academic Assistance and Resource Center (AARC)

Stephen F. Austin State University | Nacogdoches, TX

(936) 468 – 1403

The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Stephen F. Austin State University, its Board of Regents, or the State of Texas.