Hi Mike,

Agree with Emily, if you are CRLA certified, to maintain the certification you have to in real time face to face, this means if it is online it has to be synchronous.  I structured my trainings to work in concert with online trainings.  We have a series of 8 modules in Canvas, they complete the first 3 modules over the first 2 weeks of the quarter and beginning the 3rd week of the quarter we begin our in-person trainings.  These are set at a time that works for all new tutors joining the program so it is a different time each quarter based on their availability.  If a tutor cannot make the time that works for all they will have to wait one quarter to onboard.

Our training plan outlines the quarterly meeting schedule and time expectations of completing the trainings and catalogs the time spent on the training both in-person and independent.  We end up with 13.5 hours in training with 9 of it in person.  Attached is our training delivery plan that might make this make more sense.

I have found that with anywhere from 5-15 coming in each quarter it isn’t really that hard to coordinate the time that works for everyone and it spaces the training out over the entire first quarter so they are not getting a huge information dump without any experiences to tie it to.  They actually start tutoring after Module 3 and their observations are complete and then the remainder of their training is paced out each week over 6 weeks.  We practice a flipped classroom so when they come to the trainings we do activities and role play and discuss real scenarios and issues they are encountering or observing.  This is our 3rd year of doing this and has made for much better prepared and trained tutors than our prior system of having one big pre-quarter meeting/training.  It’s just too much information at once and with no experience to tie it to it just doesn’t stick.

Hope this helps!

Janice L. Taylor

Program Manager, Clark College Tutoring Services
Office: FHL 202

Mail Stop: FHL 222
Phone: 360.992.2773
Email:

[log in to unmask]" alt="See the source image">