Mike,

Our tutor training program is CRLA Level I certified.  We always do six hours of f2f training early in the fall, all day on a Saturday (it’s a long haul).  This last year we did the additional four hours of required training online in January using our course management system, which we felt worked very well: we generally received very thoughtful, substantive responses to the questions we posed about the training materials that were posted, and since we gave participants a two-week window to complete the training, we had no scheduling issues.  For the all-day f2f training, we design it so that the participants are doing most of the “heavy lifting,” and we have several Team Leaders who help manage their respective groups throughout the day.  Years ago I tended to approach this all-day training as if it were a six-hour class—absolutely deadly for them and for me!

Bruce Epps

Director, Academic Success

Blackmore Library 211

Capital University