From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Debbie Malewicki
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2019 7:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutors in residence halls

WARNING: This email is from outside TJC. Do not click on links or attachments unless you expect them from the sender and know the content is safe.

Good evening!

Pros:  easy access to the students, you can choose spots that students are likely to almost trip over a tutor to provide that ongoing reminder, a dormmate is more likely to bring along a friend, students may feel less pressured to seek help in this setting, and you typically receive the approval and sometimes even marketing efforts of Residential Life

Cons:  safety – ensure that your tutors know to stay in a public and visible area for their safety and to avoid allegations of misconduct, access to the dorm if the tutor doesn’t reside in it can be problematic, it’s much more likely that the tutor will be pressured to give too much help and not have a supervisor’s assistance to fall back on, time sheets can be easily falsified, and it’s difficult to impossible to regularly observe the tutor at work

Concern based upon your approach:  What happens when students learn that the service is restricted to developmental students?  It creates an imbalance in services for other students, and it publicly singles out students in developmental classes, who may then avoid the service as they’re embarrassed about their placement.

General concern:  Are the same services available for commuter students?  If so, are they being given access to the dorms to reach those tutors?  If so, what kind of safety issues might arise?

When I oversaw a program with this option, we used lounge areas one year, but the space wasn’t large enough, and some people expressed safety concerns about non-residents being in the dorm.  We later switched to using the cafeteria in the building after hours.  It resolved the safety issue, but we did see a noticeable drop in attendance because the tutors were less prominently placed.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, President

Integrity 1st Learning Support Solutions, LLC

446A Blake Street – Suite 101

New Haven, CT  06515

(203) 800-4100

www.Integrity1stLSS.com