Hi Jeremy,

Fair point. Attached is the job description we’ve written for the role.

Mentor tutors will be undergrads, like all of our other tutors, but they will need to have at least one full year of tutoring under their belts. In addition to the usual tutoring duties, their role will entail doing peer observations, helping to develop trainings and assisting in their delivery, and leading trainings/discussions in their respective subject areaa. Also, they’ll be coordinating and leading projects that will develop tutor resources and programmatic outreach and marketing opportunities. Mentor tutors will need to demonstrate a capacity for leadership, planning and follow through, and enough maturity and assertiveness to oversee their peers.

Because this role will be entirely new this year, part of the difficulty I’m dealing with is in how to frame the interview questions, especially since neither the tutors nor I have seen it in practice before. My plan is, as part of this year’s pre-fall training, to hold a workshop for those interested in applying that will describe the position and the expectations we have of those who do the job.

Hope that helps. I’d love to see whatever anyone out there has to share, even if your definition of a Mentor or Lead Tutor differs from ours. It’ll give me something to reflect on at least.

Thanks,

Susana

Susana Brower, M.A.

Assistant Coordinator, Tutorial Assistance Program

Academic Resource Center

UC Riverside

Skye Hall, First Floor

Direct: (951) 827-5345|Front desk: (951) 827-3721

Level 1 Certified Program

[log in to unmask]" alt="CRLA_Tutor_Logo">