Dear David,

In the spring of 1978 I was transferred from my position as Assistant
Director of the Student Development Program to manage and attempt to
salvage the learning assistance center which, at the time was failing to
meet its objectives.  My title was "Coordinator of the Learning Achievement
Center." The center was funded under a Student Support Services Grant.  The
center served minority, first generation, and low income students. The
Dept. of Education was about to pull its funding because there were no
gains being made over a 2-year period on the pre-tests and post-tests being
used to assess the program. I had a semester to begin to clean things up.

Under these circumstances, the things I most needed to know were:

1.  how to revise/develop/manage an evaluation plan,
2.  how to train tutors, and
3.  what, exactly did assessment instruments measure?

Hope this helps.

HRB

Hunter R. Boylan, Ph.D. Professor and Director
National Center for Developmental Education
Reich College of Education, Appalachian State University
ASU Box 32098, Boone, NC  28608
828-262-6100