Hi Diane,

At the Binghamton University Educational Opportunity Program's Tutorial Program, we focus on two different levels of training and orientation for tutors.  They are as follows:
  1. CRLA Level 01 Training:  My center, along with two other tutorial centers on campus, collaborate in holding a 6-hour, in-person CRLA training for newly hired tutors twice a year (once before the Fall semester and once before the Spring semester).  In addition, those tutors must complete a series of online training modules meant to get them certified in the other required four hours of training.
  2. EOP Training and Orientation:  While the above training is extensive and in-depth to train tutors on a more general level, it doesn't help in the following ways: 1) the unique and specific demands of working with EOP students; 2) tutors who were hired either before or after the above training dates.  To combat this, I not only hold my own orientation and training sessions for newly hired tutors in conjunction with the CRLA Level 01 Training that focuses on EOP and its specific demands.  For tutors hired before or after the training, I require that they go through a series of online modules and assessments, along with a one-on-one meeting with me, before they begin tutoring.  More than that, I require those tutors to attend the CRLA training sessions the next time they are held.
All of this training is both mandatory and tutors are compensated.  I have thought about having a mandatory, for-credit course that would focus on tutor training as it would provide a more comprehensive instruction, more time to practice, as well as shift much of the costs of training from the tutorial center to the tutor, but there are many issues that go along with this that include, but are not limited to: 1) the pay rate and workload of tutors who were trained in courses versus those that weren't; and 2) the issue of how to train newly hired tutors who began after a for-credit course is in session.

I wish you luck in figuring out the right answer to your question and I hope that you are enjoying your summer.

Ryan