Patrick,

I strongly disagree. Pajek has amazing analytical capabilities but it has never been designed to produce high-quality visualizations of large networks. I have used both Pajek and Gephi for over ten years, and I am very familiar with the book that you mentioned. I do not believe saying "something has reasonably good visualization" is erroneous. It would be erroneous to say that Pajek does not have reasonably good visualization. See also https://www.researchgate.net/post/Which_open_source_software_is_best_for_network_data_analysis, item #5 in the first answer. As you can see, this is not just my opinion.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM Doreian, Patrick D <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello Everyone.

                         I think claim about the diminished value of Pajek, as expressed in this message, is erroneous. It has outstanding visual capabilities. Se also de Nooy, Mrvar, Batagelj Exploratory Social Network Analysis with Pajek (Third edition) Cambridge University Pres for an  excellent introduction to most of its capabilities.

                        Also, I am not happy about the declaration on one specific program being "the king of network visualization" (or queen for that matter). As there are different ways of thinking about visualizations of networks, I doubt that one one program is the best. It depends on what users want to do and  the 'story' that is in the data.

with best wishes
pat

patrick doreian
professor emeritus
department of sociology
2602 WWPH
university of pittsburgh
pittsburgh, PA 15260
website: http://patrickdoreian.com

From: Social Networks Discussion Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Dmitry Zinoviev <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Recommendation on SNA software that runs on Mac and Windows

Gephi (gephi.org) is the king of network visualization, and it also has some substantial support for SNA (centralities, degree distributions, clustering coefficient, community detection, etc.) It runs on any OS that supports Java.

Someone already mentioned Pajek (excellent toolset, reasonabvly good visualization) and NetworkX (integration with Python). Incidentally, I am the author of the NetworkX book (see the signature), a step-by-step tutorial with real-life examples, including SNA exercises.

--
Dmitry Zinoviev, Professor of Computer Science, Suffolk University, Boston, MA 02114
Author of "Data Science Essentials in Python" and "Complex Network Analysis in Python"