We are extending the deadline for submission of abstracts to the Politics and Computational Social Science conference (PaCSS) to June 10th.  All info is below.

David

*Call for Presentation Proposals*

*Politics and Computational Social Science (PaCSS) Conference, Wednesday August 28 @ Georgetown University*

The data and methodologies available to social scientists have exploded with the emergence of vast archives of passive data collection, large scale online experimentation, and innovative uses of simulation. These data are of a larger magnitude and methods are of a greater computational complexity than approaches that have dominated the study of politics for the last 50 years.

This offers the potential for rich insights into society at scale, while simultaneously introducing new ethical and infrastructural challenges. In parallel, the information and communication technologies that have driven these changes are also driving changes in politics, around the world, that require study.

In order to understand the political world, it is increasingly important to gain access to the political communication and behavior occurring online. This preconference gathering will offer a forum for political science research in this emerging space. Example relevant topics/approaches include:  analysis of social media; text analysis; use of finely granular geographic data; large scale online experimentation.

Scholars from all subfields of political science are welcome, as are researchers in other relevant disciplines, such as computer science, sociology, and physics. The meeting will take place 9am-5pm on Wednesday, August 28th at Georgetown University.

Everyone who wishes to attend should apply. We welcome applications to present, discuss or simply participate. We recognize that strength comes through diversity, and actively seek, welcome, and encourage people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities to apply and attend.

This will be a one day conference with a keynote by Sandra González-Bailón of the University of Pennsylvania. A wide range of subjects for presentations are welcome, including purely methodologically oriented presentations or applications thereof; synthesis/overviews of research; discussions of ethics and/or data infrastructures; and so on. Papers are not required.

Applications to present should be submitted by June 10 at our proposal submission page.

Register for the conference at our registration page. Registration is $50 before August 1, 2019 and $100 after that.  The conference includes breakfast, lunch, coffee and snacks.

Pew Research Center is pleased to host two parallel training workshops at their office in downtown D.C. These workshops will focus on two key areas:

1) natural language (NLP) processing techniques and their application to social science questions, by Sarah Bouchat of Northwestern University; and

2) deep learning techniques with applications to image analysis for social scientists, by Nora Webb Williams of the University of Washington.

Participants will be given hands-on experience building and training models in these subject areas and will also be able to meet members of Pew Research Center’s Data Labs team. Workshops will run from 2pm to 5pm Tuesday August 27. Light snacks and coffee will be provided.

Workshop cost per participant is $25.

PaCSS 2019 is sponsored by the McCourt School of Public Policy Data Science for Public Policy Program, the Office of Provost Robert Groves, Georgetown University and Sage Publishing and the Pew Research Center.

David Lazer

University Distinguished Professor of Political Science and Computer and Information Science, Northeastern University
Co-Director, NULab for Texts, Maps, and Networks:  http://www.northeastern.edu/nulab/
Visiting Scholar, Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University

EMAIL ETIQUETTE: just because I e-mail at odd hours does not mean I expect you to.
THINK OUR DEMOCRACY NEEDS HELP? Check out our new book, Politics with the People.

PLEASE VOLUNTEER:  http://www.VolunteerScience.com
Check out:  LazerLab.net