I also recommend *Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning,  *Mark
McDaniel, one of the authors, actually came to Northern Arizona University
(NAU) and spoke about how we need to change study strategies.

Students confuse learning with recalling information, especially practices
like rereading and going over highlighted information, these types of
strategies create an illusion of knowing.

I want to try and work with tutors to teach strategies like self-quizzing,
self checking on a regular basis, and helping students understand that this
type of studying can be awkward and frustrating.  Re-reading texts and just
going over notes creates that illusion of fluency....quizzes and testing
with new information is harder and, at first, may make students feel like
they don't know the information...but when you work hard to recall
information, it tends to stick longer.

They also talk about spaced practice and interleave different problem
types....lots of strategies....I could go on and on....highly recommend the
book!

*Sincerely,*
*Sarah*

Sarah Uminski