I also recommend Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning,  Mark McDaniel, one of the authors, actually came to Northern Arizona University (NAU) and spoke about how we need to change study strategies.

Students confuse learning with recalling information, especially practices like rereading and going over highlighted information, these types of strategies create an illusion of knowing.

I want to try and work with tutors to teach strategies like self-quizzing, self checking on a regular basis, and helping students understand that this type of studying can be awkward and frustrating.  Re-reading texts and just going over notes creates that illusion of fluency....quizzes and testing with new information is harder and, at first, may make students feel like they don't know the information...but when you work hard to recall information, it tends to stick longer.

They also talk about spaced practice and interleave different problem types....lots of strategies....I could go on and on....highly recommend the book!

Sincerely,
Sarah

Sarah Uminski
Tutor Coordinator