Gainesville, Florida 32611-6601

Phone 352-294-7741
Email
http://
waterinstitute.ufl.edu

Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation

Symbiosis in Aquatic Systems Initiative

PRE-APPLICATION DATE: 08/08/2019

AMOUNT: The amounts of the awards will be determined later in 2019; 12.5% IDCs

The Symbiosis in Aquatic Systems Initiative of the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is soliciting pre-applications for awards to develop freshwater and marine model systems where at least one symbiotic partner in the model system is a microbe (bacteria, archaea, and/or single-celled eukaryotes, including single-celled fungi). A constricted bottleneck in aquatic symbiosis is the paucity of tractable model systems – well-studied associations of two or more organisms that can be manipulated to reveal underlying controls of gene expression and function, determine how the organisms interact, better understand how the organisms contribute to ecosystem processes, and study their evolution.

Studies centered on agriculture, aquaculture, aquaponics, the human microbiome, applied sciences, symbiosis in terrestrial systems, symbioses without a microbe, predator-prey relationships, and pathogen research are outside the scope of this funding opportunity.

These awards will fund scientists (individuals or teams) to generate new tools, protocols, and resources to significantly improve the ability to observe and manipulate aquatic symbioses of interest. An essential component of this opportunity is a willingness of all grantees to form a collaborative community where methods and ideas are openly and actively shared to accelerate the pace of methods and technology development and avoid unnecessary redundancy in these pursuits. Grantees will convene periodically virtually and in person to build connections between teams and should expect to interface with other groups in the scientific community working on model systems.

Grantees will be selected based on the skill sets and model systems expertise represented in their individual labs or across their teams, their potential to conduct research that illuminates how aquatic symbioses involving microbes function, and clear articulation of how their proposed project will make measurable progress in a grant period ranging from an estimated 1.5 to 3 years (project duration will be determined in coordination with foundation staff later in the application process).

We strongly encourage project leads to open an application as early as possible so as to familiarize themselves with the proposal steps and requirements. Please monitor your spam folder for verification emails from the smapply.io website and add “[log in to unmask]” and “[log in to unmask]” to your address book.

To receive future announcements from the Moore Foundation, please add your name to our distribution list.

More information is available on the website.

Please let me know if I or my colleagues can be of assistance.

Best regards,

Margaret

Margaret Cole Atherton
Executive Director

Corporate and Foundation Relations

University of Florida Advancement

1938 W. University Ave., Gainesville, FL 32603
UF Foundation

Documents made or received by anyone acting for or on behalf of the UF Foundation are confidential and exempt from F.S. 119.07(1) pursuant to F.S. 1004.28(5) and in accordance with the UF Foundation policy on confidentiality of Foundation documents. The University of Florida Foundation solicits tax deductible private contributions for the benefit of the University of Florida. For our full disclosure statement, please see http://www.uff.ufl.edu/Documents/Document.asp?DocID=1751164.