[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Fall 2019 New Graduate Student Orientation at UF:
Now On-Campus — And Online!
With the start of Fall 2019, the Graduate School is proud to expand our efforts to welcome and inform newly admitted graduate students through New Graduate Student Orientation (our on-campus, in-person event) and now also GradStart (our new online orientation venture).
On-Campus
The Graduate School will hold its longstanding in-person, on-campus event — New Graduate Student Orientation — in the Reitz Union on Monday, August 12.
This in-person event will include a brief welcome from the Graduate School; a keynote address; a mandatory international student orientation hosted by the International Center and the Counseling and Wellness Center; a resource center of off-campus, on-campus, and student organizations; and individual information sessions on topics most relevant to incoming students. For a schedule of these events, click this link: http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/admissions/orientation/. We will release a finalized schedule this week.
Online
This year, the Graduate School has worked with the Center for Instructional Technology and Training, plus Academic Technology, to create GradStart — a six-module online course in Canvas for all new graduate students. These modules address questions and provide information through content available to new graduate students throughout their transition to campus, their first day of classes, and their first year at UF. They cover an introduction to the structure and layout of graduate education at UF, the academic expectations of all involved in graduate education, and the tools for tracking and advancing their student progress at UF.
This online resource is available to students admitted to UF, but it is geared to those who accepted their offers of admission and intend to enroll at UF. All newly admitted graduate students will receive an introductory email in the near future to encourage them to sing up. This online resource is meant as a supplement to the in-person orientation, while also providing easier access to distance-learning students and students based at UF campuses other than ours in Gainesville.
If you are a faculty member or staff member who would like to view this online resource, please email Bradley Osburn at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for access.
Improved Outreach, Access, Integration
The aim of the changes behind “GradStart” is improved outreach, access, and integration in welcoming new graduate students to UF through multiple avenues. We plan to further enhance these tools in future years, so we welcome your feedback on our orientation efforts.
Each of these tools remains recommended to new students, and not required, with the exception of the International Center’s in-person session for international students. We hope that these will align well with your existing efforts, and provide a foundation for all graduate students, to more quickly integrate to each of your programs
If you have any questions, please email Matt Mitterko, who is coordinating our orientation activities, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. We look forward to working with you in welcoming our newest Graduate Gators to the UF community!