Hello BESTers,

It's been a while.  Between a crazy travel schedule for work, then having our first baby 3 weeks ago, this has been a hectic several months to say the least.  But I now have a new motivation to make the world more sustainable for our daughter.

On that note, I'm excited to share that the EPA issued a new report last month detailing food waste anaerobic digestion activities in the US.  This is a follow-up to a similar report last year.  In the new report, the EPA surveyed 198 anaerobic digestion facilities that have the capacity to digest food waste, categorized into three types: stand-alone food waste digesters, on-farm digesters that co-digest food waste, and digesters at water resource recovery facilities that co-digest food waste.  The survey found that in the US, a total of 10.7 million tons of food waste were digested in 2016, producing a total of 989 million kilowatt hours.  The tonnages were slightly down from the 2015 figures, but the EPA also received fewer responses.  The 3 states with the most facilities were California (31), Wisconsin (14), and Ohio (11).  However, Florida has 5 facilities.  The most common source of feedstock was the food and beverage processing industry, followed by restaurants and food service.

Surveys such as these may not make big headlines, but they are critical tools for us to quantify where we are in the fight against food waste.

Have a great weekend,

Ryan

https://www.biocycle.net/2019/10/18/epa-releases-ad-facilities-processing-food-waste-report/

New EPA Report: AD Facilities Processing Food Waste
Biocycle
October 18, 2019