Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 11:01:59 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D4ca5099f2c-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=v78VPl9OuD0Cja405NVUHfUQcRjO9JkayJHcYF65g3E&e=

Novelist Cormac McCarthy˙˙s tips on how to write a great science paper

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D2ca6673c2d-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=4OqqWFRsFRoLGBYbJTZzL69fs5XfFo6dveZEWmqXOWk&e=

The Pulitzer prizewinner shares his advice for pleasing readers, editors and yourself.

Source: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nature.com&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=ORmaGbDyU5yzLq4Boo19yQxJb5E-jJDFyfIhgUgzYEw&e=  (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D716a0e77e5-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=SHoahkseo9-tmrZMpdK84UOp22qOo4nZkm7H6S_KUWs&e= )

Social Network Analysis for Social Neuroscientists

    Although social neuroscience is concerned with understanding how the brain interacts with its social environment, prevailing research in the field has primarily considered the human brain in isolation, deprived of its rich social context. Emerging work in social neuroscience that leverages tools from network analysis has begun to pursue this issue, advancing knowledge of how the human brain influences and is influenced by the structures of its social environment. In this paper, we provide an overview of key theory and methods in network analysis (especially for social systems) as an introduction for social neuroscientists who are interested in relating individual cognition to the structures of an individual's social environments. We also highlight some exciting new work as examples of how to productively use these tools to investigate questions of relevance to social neuroscientists. We include tutorials to help with practical implementation of the concepts that we discuss. We conclude by
highlighting the broad range of exciting research opportunities for social neuroscientists who are interested in using network analysis to study social systems.

Baek, Elisa, Mason A. Porter, and Carolyn Parkinson. 2019. ˙˙Social Network Analysis for Social Neuroscientists.˙˙ PsyArXiv. September 26. doi:10.31234/osf.io/kgc2h.

Source: psyarxiv.com (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D081afc5b29-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=oxLLeMueDlACobZ_aJuegJKsKDNK53XwdiEEySa0DrU&e= )

Measuring complexity

    Complexity is heterogenous, involving nonlinearity, self-organisation, diversity, adaptive behaviour, among other things. It is therefore obviously worth asking whether purported measures of complexity measure aggregate phenomena, or individual aspects of complexity and if so which. This paper uses a recently developed rigorous framework for understanding complexity to answer this question about measurement. The approach is two-fold: find measures of individual aspects of complexity on the one hand, and explain measures of complexity on the other. We illustrate the conceptual framework of complexity science and how it links the foundations to the practised science with examples from different scientific fields and of various aspects of complexity. Furthermore, we analyse a selection of purported measures of complexity that have found wide application and explain why and how they measure aspects of complexity. This work gives the reader a tool to take any existing measure of complexity and
analyse it, and to take any feature of complexity and find the right measure for it.

Measuring complexity

Karoline Wiesner, James Ladyman

Source: arxiv.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D4898ba0c58-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=yio3cm1ld5NuEHhMsu_cQNIMxGJo2-tXNMN6wkL7rWM&e= )

From classical to modern opinion dynamics

    In this age of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, there is rapidly growing interest in understanding network-enabled opinion dynamics in large groups of autonomous agents. The phenomena of opinion polarization, the spread of propaganda and fake news, and the manipulation of sentiment are of interest to large numbers of organizations and people, some of whom are resource rich. Whether it is the more nefarious players such as foreign governments that are attempting to sway elections or large corporations that are trying to bend sentiment -- often quite surreptitiously, or it is more open and above board, like researchers that want to spread the news of some finding or some business interest that wants to make a large group of people aware of genuinely helpful innovations that they are marketing, what is at stake is often significant. In this paper we review many of the classical, and some of the new, social interaction models aimed at understanding opinion dynamics. While the first papers
studying opinion dynamics appeared over 60 years ago, there is still a great deal of room for innovation and exploration. We believe that the political climate and the extraordinary (even unprecedented) events in the sphere of politics in the last few years will inspire new interest and new ideas. It is our aim to help those interested researchers understand what has already been explored in a significant portion of the field of opinion dynamics. We believe that in doing this, it will become clear that there is still much to be done.

From classical to modern opinion dynamics

Hossein Noorazar, Kevin R. Vixie, Arghavan Talebanpour, Yunfeng Hu

Source: arxiv.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D150730c89a-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=IfdmyoUsEF1biWpT4S8AQD4xH62Ql8KjAcGe32K-5zI&e= )

Advantage of Being Multicomponent and Spatial: Multipartite Viruses Colonize Structured Populations with Lower Thresholds

    Multipartite viruses have a genome divided into different disconnected viral particles. A majority of multipartite viruses infect plants; very few target animals. To understand why, we use a simple, network-based susceptible-latent-infectious-recovered model. We show both analytically and numerically that, provided that the average degree of the contact network exceeds a critical value, even in the absence of an explicit microscopic advantage, multipartite viruses have a lower threshold to colonizing network-structured populations compared to a well-mixed population. We further corroborate this finding on two-dimensional lattice networks, which better represent the typical contact structures of plants.

Advantage of Being Multicomponent and Spatial: Multipartite Viruses Colonize Structured Populations with Lower Thresholds

Yi-Jiao Zhang, Zhi-Xi Wu, Petter Holme, and Kai-Cheng Yang
Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 138101

Source: link.aps.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D2fd67d4e3a-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=Xtk2ELv4L8blJ5R4Gqo_XF2yLkPT99JqZWCd5gcSeLw&e= )

Topological portraits of multiscale coordination dynamics

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D28c67d7be4-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=4AjnoSK9vw2Ocl2yoLPhEhRk_ItvvJqfeZD69nK2LOg&e=

Living systems exhibit complex yet organized behavior on multiple spatiotemporal scales. To investigate the nature of multiscale coordination in living systems, one needs a meaningful and systematic way to quantify the complex dynamics, a challenge in both theoretical and empirical realms. The present work shows how integrating approaches from computational algebraic topology and dynamical systems may help us meet this challenge. In particular, we focus on the application of multiscale topological analysis to coordinated rhythmic processes. First, theoretical arguments are introduced as to why certain topological features and their scale-dependency are highly relevant to understanding complex collective dynamics. Second, we propose a method to capture such dynamically relevant topological information using persistent homology, which allows us to effectively construct a multiscale topological portrait of rhythmic coordination. Finally, the method is put to test in detecting transitions in
real data from an experiment of rhythmic coordination in ensembles of interacting humans. The recurrence plots of topological portraits highlight collective transitions in coordination patterns that were elusive to more traditional methods. This sensitivity to collective transitions would be lost if the behavioral dynamics of individuals were treated as separate degrees of freedom instead of constituents of the topology that they collectively forge. Such multiscale topological portraits highlight collective aspects of coordination patterns that are irreducible to properties of individual parts. The present work demonstrates how the analysis of multiscale coordination dynamics can benefit from topological methods, thereby paving the way for further systematic quantification of complex, high-dimensional dynamics in living systems.

Topological portraits of multiscale coordination dynamics

Mengsen Zhang, William D. Kalies, J. A. Scott Kelso, Emmanuelle Tognoli

Source: arxiv.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D7d2cee8cae-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=LtRNpGLvcLLh_ZCAmqr9JQ9lbfRoCN9zBXH_wypb3Ns&e= )

Tenure Track position in Complexity ˙˙ University of Amsterdam

    The UvA˙˙s Faculty of Science is launching a major recruitment campaign called ˙˙Connecting Science˙˙ in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Our ambition is to attract top talent from all over the world to a large number of newly created faculty positions in a wide range of exciting scientific directions. We offer a stimulating environment and excellent conditions for research, tightly connected to challenging educational programmes. We are looking for ambitious and motivated scientists to connect different scientific disciplines. Our goal is to have a maximal impact on science and society.

Source: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uva.nl&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=8WYgt_KxVsG_zuewKa4YZybUR8D_qO2JzfYWnay8GQs&e=  (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Dd952f1384d-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=QMhZckoEUHSd8lg_smz5dTZ7650TNTdCb_1usSosRTg&e= )

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D00b881ec09-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=54OHUT5AdjqoX_m4E0kqDA2UYxxBi087_wfY3OsHRdc&s=wzQwa2yCGzB23m91SzvsE2hUNXx3oPAlQFnv4V0oIuo&e=  ) and using the "Suggest" button.