Colleagues,

Consider joining the growing number of network scholars in the College of
Communication at Michigan State University.

The Department of Media and Information (M&I) at Michigan State University,
which is home to a dynamic, interdisciplinary faculty who are
internationally recognized for their cutting-edge research on the design,
uses and implications of information and communication technologies (ICTs),
invites applications for two separate positions: (1) an assistant professor
faculty tenure system position and (2) an open-rank faculty tenure system
position (with potential for an endowed professorship).

The successful candidates will have a Ph.D. in a relevant field. Review of
applicants will begin December 6, 2019. The expected start date for both
positions is August 16, 2020.

*Open Rank Tenure System Faculty* We welcome applications from emerging and
established scholars in information science or related disciplines whose
research answers significant questions about technology, and its impacts on
individuals, groups, and society. We are especially interested in
applicants whose research interests complement our department’s strengths
in: human-computer interaction (HCI), information communication technology
and development (ICTD), information systems, social computing, game
studies, digital inequality and impacts of ICTs, and health informatics.
Scholars who examine topics concerning diversity and its relationship to
ICT design and/or use are encouraged to apply.
Outstanding candidates may be considered for a Brandt Endowed
Professorship. Ellis (Ned) Brandt was a graduate of MSU’s School of
Journalism, and a prominent Michigan philanthropist. The Brandt Endowed
Professorship offers a competitive salary and annual research allowance.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional scholar with: a successful track
record of securing external research funding; experience and interest in
mentoring faculty; and excellent collaboration skills. Publishing in
peer-reviewed venues in relevant fields is expected, as is teaching and
advising students in the Department’s undergraduate and graduate programs.
See
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__careers.msu.edu_cw_en-2Dus_job_502699_assistantassociatefull-2Dprofessor-2Dtenure-2Dsystem&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=vrGFoa0IlJo_nxIFYX8miNbtDcikUgdFmsooEiI9Ilk&s=2qho-ZZM7_k4AhaVoR0fKx63DEwEkaj2nox4sDtadJc&e=
for more details.
Please contact Susan Wyche ([log in to unmask]) if you have questions.

*Assistant Professor Tenure System Faculty *We are seeking an innovative,
dynamic individual to fill a full-time, tenure system position at the
assistant professor level who is interested in human-centered approaches to
design, and engages with emerging technologies, such as (but not limited
to) games, interactive media, virtual reality, and augmented reality. We
value interests in socially relevant topics and improving people’s lives.
Our ideal candidate integrates both “arts” and “sciences” in their work
while recognizing the importance of inclusivity.
Candidates will be expected to gain visibility through peer-reviewed
academic research publications and/or juried creative works. Given our
strong interdisciplinary culture, we welcome applications from individuals
from a diverse range of disciplinary and methodological traditions who
thrive in a vibrant academic environment. Faculty members are also expected
to pursue external funding to support their research and/or creative
activity. In addition, candidates will teach in our undergraduate and
graduate programs, as well as advise graduate students on projects, theses,
and dissertations.
See
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__careers.msu.edu_cw_en-2Dus_job_502698_assistant-2Dprofessortenure-2Dsystem&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=vrGFoa0IlJo_nxIFYX8miNbtDcikUgdFmsooEiI9Ilk&s=DY9p5QnLAcegubOm8lfv82Ub1JdY_3ikRqH68swfCQk&e=
for more details.
Please contact Elizabeth LaPensee ([log in to unmask]) if you have questions.

*Keith N. Hampton, Ph.D.*
*Professor, Department of Media and Information*
*Associate Director for Academic Research, Quello Center*
*Affiliate Faculty, Department of Sociology*
*Michigan State University*
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mysocialnetwork.net&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=vrGFoa0IlJo_nxIFYX8miNbtDcikUgdFmsooEiI9Ilk&s=ge5I3Y8DA2sWDNI42gAL_LCUF75_hQiJu0ISLqMQ3r8&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.twitter.com_mysocnet&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=vrGFoa0IlJo_nxIFYX8miNbtDcikUgdFmsooEiI9Ilk&s=6uISmGF9kqlww9ETlfMuzdduZdxeHM2qfmOKtn0515Q&e=